Google Analytics

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Clyde Kilby's 11 Resolutions

I'm in the process of reading "The Pleasures of God" by John Piper.  It is a great book that you (I) must read slowly to allow the depth of the thinking to sink in.

In the third chapter titled, "The Pleasure of God in His Creation" Piper talks about a professor he had when he attended Wheaton College.  The professors name is Clyde Kilby.  He was inspired by Professor Kilby's "11 Resolutions" about how he was going to live his life. 

Piper says, "One of the things I would like to happen because of this chapter is that readers would open their eyes even wider to the glory of God in the world around them." (pg. 95)  Doesn't that seem to be our problem...we have eyes but they are only open slightly and somehow we focus on only the negative...the struggling economy, our dissatisfaction with our jobs, our furstration with the weather, the list goes on and on. 

One of Kilby's 11 resolutions is this, he says, "I shall sometimes look back at the freshness of vision I had in childhood and try, at least for a while, to be, in the words of Lewis Carroll, the 'child of the pure unclouded brow, and dreaming eyes of wonder.'"  Lord allow me to look with eyes of a child instead of the cynicism,and negativity that I am prone to do now as an adult!

The other 10 resolutions are good too.  I will be sharing them as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment