Google Analytics

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Stretching...

Lately I have been really liking my stretching during My Schedule (mostly through the yoga).  I think part of the reason that I have begun to like yoga is because I can finally see (feel) some results.  My toes, that used to be so stinkin' far away from my fingers seem to be a little closer?!?!  My hamstrings don't feel like they're going to POP when I touch my toes.

This is due to showing up and getting after it on a regular basis.  Other than the newfound enjoyment of yoga I have never been one for static stretching.  I was tooling around and found some great information about static vs. dynamic stretching here.  If you have some time (about 5 min.) it's totally some excellent info.

The article talks about how we get stuck in a routine or line of thinking that says that Static stretching is the proper "thing" to do before a workout.  I believe this starts in elementary school and is reinforced all the way through high school.  However, static stretching can actually reduce our performance level. 

Static stretching does have it's place...in a yoga routine or after a workout.

Dynamic stretching is the way to go.  Engage the muscles and get them moving.  This helps with flexibility and range of motion...more like what you're going to do in your workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment